Dallas Wedding Hair and Makeup: What to Know Before Booking Your Beauty Team
by Kaitlyn December 2
When your wedding day arrives, you want to not only feel beautiful, but look your very best, too! That’s why it’s important to find a professional wedding hair and makeup team you trust to help make sure you look incredible. Most beauty teams offer both hair AND makeup, while others specialize in one or the other. Regardless of whether you book them separately or together, you’ll want to keep these tips in mind when booking your Dallas wedding hair and makeup pros!
When to book wedding hair and makeup
If you have your heart set on a certain hairstylist or makeup artist, it’s never too early to reserve your date! Many artists book out a year in advance. Beauty companies with several stylists on their team can often accommodate multiple weddings per date, so depending on who you’re booking, you could book 3-6 months out from your big day. We don’t recommend cutting it too close, though – have someone booked by 3 months out!
What to consider when choosing a bridal hairstyle and makeup look
- Hair length and texture – certain hairstyles work best on longer hair, fine hair or hair that holds curl extremely well, while others are best for thick or textured hair. Your stylist can help determine if the style you’re considering is realistic for your hair type.
- Dancing – do you plan to dance the night away and get crazy on the dance floor? You’ll want a hairstyle that can withstand those moves!
- The weather – are you having an outdoor ceremony with potential for wind or humidity? Keep that in mind when thinking about your bridal look.
- Your dress – your hair and makeup look should not only compliment your natural beauty, but the style of your gown, as well! Whether you’re going for boho, glam or classic, you’ll want to have a cohesive aesthetic.
Trust your stylist(s) and ask for their advice when it comes to styles, color palettes and more. They’re the experts, and can offer insight you may not have considered!
Consider these details when it comes to wedding hair and makeup
- What will your number of attendants be and who will be getting which services done? Don’t forget moms, grandmas, junior bridesmaids, house party attendants and flower girls.
- Will you’ll want your bridesmaids to have half-up/down hairstyles or an updo? Updos often take longer and that time needs to be accounted for. some brides prefer their bridesmaids to have a uniform look when it comes to hair and makeup, others aren’t picky – either way is fine, you’ll just need to decide before it’s time to finalize hair and makeup plans and costs.
- What time your ceremony will start and what time photos need to start? Your hair and makeup artists will need to know what time they’ll need to be finished by in order to calculate their start time.
- If you don’t have access to your venue until a certain time and hair and makeup will need to start before then, you’ll need to have another location in mind for getting ready. A hotel is a common, convenient option – consider a home rental, too! They often offer much more space to move around natural window light than hotels, which also makes for beautiful photos!
Who pays for bridesmaids’ hair and makeup?
Generally speaking, bridesmaids are responsible for paying for their own hair and makeup, as long as they have the option to do their own. If you as the bride are requiring your bridesmaids and attendants to have their hair and makeup professionally done, it’s generally expected for you to cover the cost. Again, if you’re giving them the option to do their own hair and makeup OR have it professionally done, it’s acceptable within modern wedding etiquette to expect your attendants to pay for those services. That said, how much should you budget for wedding hair and makeup?
How much should I budget for Dallas wedding hair and makeup?
Beauty services will vary from region to region and company to company, but generally speaking, brides can expect to spend anywhere between $200 and $600 total on their wedding hair and makeup. If you’re wanting special services like airbrush makeup, false lashes or an intricate hairstyle, expect for that cost to be higher. Bridesmaids’ and other attendants’ hair and makeup costs are often slightly lower than the bride’s. Remember, you’re paying for your artists’ time, talent and product. And don’t forget you’ll need to tip for a job well done!
Do I really need to do a hair and makeup trial?
If a trial isn’t included within your bridal beauty booking, you’ll absolutely want to invest in both a hair and makeup trial so you can make sure your look is spot-on for the big day. You may discover that the hairstyle you had in mind doesn’t work as well as you thought with your particular hair type – or maybe the makeup color palette you were considering doesn’t look quite like you expected. This is the time to be honest with your stylist(s) – speak up if there’s something you don’t like! The trial is the perfect time to make adjustments or to go in another direction if you don’t feel comfortable with the look.
Pro tip: many brides have their stylists coordinate with their photographer so their hair and makeup trial can take place on the same day as their bridal session!
What other beauty treatments should I consider as I plan for my wedding beauty look?
While aesthetic enhancement treatments and cosmetic surgery are certainly not for everyone, these are definitely an option! The question to ask yourself is: will this treatment make me feel more confident on the wedding day? If the answer is yes, then visiting a Dallas med spa like Raja Mohan MD PA is a great place to start. The techniques, including botox, filler, lip injections, facials and more, are all uniquely tailored for personalized results.
Want to make an appointment but need a confidence boost? Many med spas across the metro even offer botox parties where you can invite a small group of friends (ahem, your bridesmaids?!) to join in. Or book a treatment for two and treat the mother of the bride or groom.
Don’t forget your brows & lashes, too!
Why worry about crying your falsies off when you could invest in stunning lash extensions that will last beyond the big day? We love the way lash extensions look with glamorous and natural wedding makeup, and your bridal makeup artist will appreciate the time it saves them on your big day. Want even more bonus points with your professional wedding makeup artist? Have your brows waxed and ready to be glammed to see the best results with your bridal makeup look. Find your one-stop brow, lash shop, and facial bar below!
Ready to get wedding hair and makeup on the books? Peruse our recommendations for North Texas beauty teams ready to rock your big day!
Featured in this Post
Jennifer Trotter - Lip Service Makeup
Grand Slam Glam Hair + Makeup
Tease to Please Hair and Makeup
Other Local Vendors: AW Wedding & Co., Tease to Please Hair and Makeup, Raja Mohan MD PA